Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes

From: João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: add tree-sitter support to major modes
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 21:31:34 -0600

On Tue., Oct. 11, 2022, 6:26 p.m. Po Lu, <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> That's easy to fix: make tree-sitter a required dependency.
> No need to maintain our own version of it.
>
> If/when tree-sitter becomes unmaintained, we may decide to revisit this
> choice, but I see no reason to cross this bridge in the foreseeable future.

Once again, famous last words.

Emacs currently has no dependencies other than system libraries:
terminfo/termcap/curses.  As a result, it builds out of the box on AIX
with the XL C compiler.

Just curious. Is it important more important to keep emacs easy to build on a closed-source system or potentially improve/modernize its internals?