Re: Fetching or installing package dev source from VCS: names

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Fetching or installing package dev source from VCS: names
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 08:31:53 +0000

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Given what this command does, according to the documentation just
> posted, I suggest we call it
>
>    package-dev-source
>
> or
>
>    package-upstream-source
>
> to correspond clearly to what it does.

Which command specifically?  `package-vc-install' or some other command?

> Corresponding index entries could be these two.
>
>    @cindex package development source
>    @cindex package upstream source
>
> Whether it is good to include them depends on what the
> sorted index will look like with them and without them.
> One or both might be redundant, or miht not.

OK, I will try that out.

> In the case of NonGNU ELPA, which repo does this access?
> Our repo?

That is open, the repository it uses depends on the metadata that ELPA
provides.  If that is missing it uses a heuristic to guess a repository
from the URL, in case contains a link to a "well-known" source force.

As I was planning to work on adding the Metadata to ELPA, I'm curios to
know what you think would be preferable?  From the tone of your question
I would guess the ELPA mirror, right?  If so, I'd be interested what
difference it would make.