Re: Fetching or installing package dev source from VCS: manual style

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Fetching or installing package dev source from VCS: manual style
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 22:33:34 +0000

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
> THANK YOU for working on this *amazing* feature!

I am glad it is of use!

> Below, I suggest some optional, minor edits.
>
>> By default @code{package-install} will download a tarball from a
>> package archive and install the files therein contained.
>
> will download -> downloads (+ install -> installs)
> the files therein contained -> its files

Applied.

>> Most of the time this is just what you want.
>
> most of the time -> often
> just ->

Perhaps the entire sentence is unnecessary?

>> One exception is when you decide to hack on the source code of a
>> package, and would like to share these changes with other users.  In
>> that case you usually want to fetch and work on the upstream source,
>> so that you can prepare a usable patch.
>
> If you want to hack on the source code of a package, and perhaps share
> your changes with others, you may prefer to fetch and work on the
> upstream source, so that you can prepare a patch.

I get the impression that the sentence is too long, perhaps it can be
cut down?  How is this:

    By default @code{package-install} downloads a Tarball from a package
  archive and installs its files.  This might be inadequate if you wish
  to hack on the package sources and add new features.  In that case
  others, you may prefer to directly fetch and work on the upstream
  source.  This will make it easier to develop patches and report bugs.

It might also be good to mention that you can "downgrade" to regular
packages after having installed a source package, but that this could
lead to issues if user options have been changed.  Yet there is no
inherent conflict between the two types of packages.

> P.S. I wonder if this new feature integrates with version control logs.
> That alone, having any kind of "what is new" screen, would make me
> switch everything to use the new system.  I think the "blind updates"
> that we have today do not match "Emacs spirit" at all.

It wouldn't be difficult to integrate 'vc-log-incoming' into some
command like 'package-vc-whats-new'.