Re: feature/eglot-texi-manual 4725c123f3 2/5: ; eglot.texi: Fix typos an

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: feature/eglot-texi-manual 4725c123f3 2/5: ; eglot.texi: Fix typos and minor inconsistenciesfeature/eglot-texi-manual 4725c123f3 2/5: ; eglot.texi: Fix typos and minor inconsistencies
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 08:02:12 -0700

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> You donʼt want progressive, you want conservative:

No, I just had no idea that this particular rule was contentious:

1. I first learned about the difference between "which" or "that" on
   this list (or bug-gnu-emacs), and no one protested against the advice
   given to me at the time.

2. Any reference I could find recommended it (admittedly, I only checked
   the top 1-2 hits on the web).

> if the existing text is not clearly incorrect, donʼt change it, even
> if thereʼs some guide that says itʼs 'wrong'.

You could be a bit more generous here, perhaps.

>From the advice given to me, and the sources I found, I drew the
conclusion precisely that using "that" is "clearly incorrect".  I did
not have any reason to think this advice was wrong, or stylistic
preference, or personal, or conservative, or anything of the kind.

I'm sure there are hundreds or even thousands of these pitfalls in the
English language.  When people try to improve the documentation, I think
we can point out such pitfalls.