Re: feature/eglot-texi-manual 4725c123f3 2/5: ; eglot.texi: Fix typos an

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: feature/eglot-texi-manual 4725c123f3 2/5: ; eglot.texi: Fix typos and minor inconsistenciesfeature/eglot-texi-manual 4725c123f3 2/5: ; eglot.texi: Fix typos and minor inconsistencies
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 17:32:46 +0200

    Stefan> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
    >> You donʼt want progressive, you want conservative:

    Stefan> No, I just had no idea that this particular rule was contentious:

    Stefan> 1. I first learned about the difference between "which" or "that" on
    Stefan>    this list (or bug-gnu-emacs), and no one protested against the
advice
    Stefan>    given to me at the time.

I donʼt know which advice that was. Iʼve protested against similar
egregious changes in the past.

    Stefan> 2. Any reference I could find recommended it (admittedly, I only
checked
    Stefan>    the top 1-2 hits on the web).

    >> if the existing text is not clearly incorrect, donʼt change it, even
    >> if thereʼs some guide that says itʼs 'wrong'.

    Stefan> You could be a bit more generous here, perhaps.

Itʼs English grammar: itʼs the most generous one in existence, it can
tolerate some measure of "possibly not 100% correct" :-)

    Stefan> From the advice given to me, and the sources I found, I drew the
    Stefan> conclusion precisely that using "that" is "clearly incorrect".  I
did
    Stefan> not have any reason to think this advice was wrong, or stylistic
    Stefan> preference, or personal, or conservative, or anything of the kind.

The sources you read were no doubt written by grammarians: they have a
tendency to be prescriptive and see things in only two shades.

    Stefan> I'm sure there are hundreds or even thousands of these pitfalls in
the
    Stefan> English language.  When people try to improve the documentation, I
think
    Stefan> we can point out such pitfalls.

Nobody is suggesting anything else. In fact, I thought that was what
we were doing here (it certainly makes a change from telling people
to put two spaces after a '.').

Robert