Re: [ELPA] New package: triples

From: Andrew Hyatt
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: triples
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 09:23:25 -0400

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 10:52 PM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
I've created a new package, triples, which can be found at https://github.com/ahyatt/triples. I'd like to add this to some ELPA, and would prefer the gnu ELPA. I will be talking about this package, and examples of its use, in the upcoming Emacs conference.

Sounds really nice. Currently I see it depends on `emacsql`, but that package is neither in GNU ELPA nor NonGNU ELPA. Any chance you can rework your package so it can use the new built-in sqlite code in Emacs-29, or maybe the `pq` package (tho this one is currently only in GNU-devel, it just needs a `Version:` bump to appear on GNU ELPA)? In the mean time, we should probably add `emacsql` to (presumably Non)GNU ELPA.

Yes, it's possible for me to rework it. However, it then would be available just to those on Emacs 29, which seems restrictive. Would it make sense to try to be compatible with both by wrapping the calls and just using whichever sqlite package is available? Has anyone done that before?

Anyway, it doesn't hurt for me to make a branch and just completely switch to the Emacs 29 sqlite to see if anything interesting comes up, so I'll do that soon.

        Stefan

PS: I also see `cl-lib` in the package-requires, and using a weird
non-parenthesized syntax.  Since `emacsql` depends on Emacs-25, you may
as well depend on Emacs-25 which will give you `cl-lib` anyway.