Re: [ELPA] New package: triples

From: Andrew Hyatt
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: triples
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 01:15:10 -0400

On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 09:29 AM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
Yes, it's possible for me to rework it. However, it then would be available just to those on Emacs 29, which seems restrictive. Would it make sense to try to be compatible with both by wrapping the calls and just using whichever sqlite package is available?

That's what I was hoping for, yes. But either way is fine by me :-)

I've started looking into this. Interesting consideration is that emacsql and sqlite have a bit different representations: in sqlite everything is a string, but emacsql will store symbols, numbers differently than strings, which are wrapped in the database with extra quotes to mark them as strings. I'll try to keep compatibility between these versions, which really I think means that our use of sqlite has to support emacsql's way of doing things.

About the possibility of using one or the other, whichever is available, how would that work in terms of package dependencies? I don't think it's possible to have an OR dependency specified in the package-dependencies line in the source, but really only one of emacsql or emacs29 would be required. If you have any insight into this, it'd be useful.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt for me to make a branch and just completely switch to the Emacs 29 sqlite to see if anything interesting comes up, so I'll do that soon.

It's probably a good first step in any case, before deciding if and how to merge the two cases.

Great, that is what I'm doing. When it passes tests, I'll let you know.

        Stefan