[ELPA] New package: triples

From: Andrew Hyatt
Subject: [ELPA] New package: triples
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 20:54:48 -0400

Hi everyone,

I've created a new package, triples, which can be found at https://github.com/ahyatt/triples. I'd like to add this to some ELPA, and would prefer the gnu ELPA. I will be talking about this package, and examples of its use, in the upcoming Emacs conference.

The package is a library which is a layer on top of sqlite, designed to store data in a particular format, where everything goes into one table. All data is expressed as "triples", a link between a subject, and an object, via a predicate. This is similar to the RDF standard.

With the triples package, a schema can be defined, which also is stored in the same triples data. The schema controls what are valid representations in the database. This takes the form of types and their properites. Data about entities, and their types and properties can be stored and retrieved according to that schema, and the schema can be added by other clients, letting packages build on top of the data by adding new types, and letting the data live together in a way that's difficult to do otherwise. For example, one package could provide a way to store contact information in the database. Another package could layer on an annotation package onto that that lets contact and any other entities contain annotations.

Another way to think of this is that it's a database that allows independent types, each type having a predefined set of properties, and entities that are stored can have an arbitrary set of those types.

You can see a use of this in my other package that I'm developing: https://github.com/ahyatt/ekg. The package does work, and I am using ekg regularly at the moment without issues.

I am the sole contributor, and have FSF papers.