Re: Emacs git repo mangled

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Emacs git repo mangled
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 12:07:29 +0000

+ Depending on what you want to do, it can be helpful to use the option
+ '--first-parent' with 'git bisect', which makes bisect ignore commits
+ coming into a branch from merges.

I'd rather say 'git start --first-parent'. There's no other bisect subcommand with that option.

Doing that is wrong, alas. Limiting bisection to first parents will often produce a wrong result. TRT here is to follow Linus' advice, to which I pointed in my other post, namely to manually mark the last commit of the eglot branch before it was merged as "good".