Re: Emacs git repo mangled

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Emacs git repo mangled
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 09:26:41 +0000

I'm not opposing anything, but I wonder if mentioning of --first-parent somewhere might be useful to others, because I find it pretty useful.

This is why I am using it, all the time so far, in Emacs, which is admittedly a small sample size:

We have master with frequent merges from emacs-28. If I know that a problem exists in master, but not in emacs-28, or if I suspect that is the case, I don't want to waste time checking commits incoming from emacs-28.

You have to know what you're doing, as always, and YMMV, and blahblah.

😉 I think the --first-parent is doing too much for your use case, because it will also skip other merges that are not from emacs-28. Moreover git bisect is "fast", in a typical bisection only a few commits are checked. So I don't think that excluding merge branches without being 110% certain that the bad commit is not in these branches is a good idea. That being said, I'm of course not against mentioning --first-parent either.