Re: Emacs git repo mangled

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Emacs git repo mangled
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 16:47:57 +0000

By definition, the bad commit cannot be inside the merged Eglot tree, because that tree contains only Eglot, not Emacs. The bad commit could be the merge commit, but that one is not excluded during the bisection if you mark the last commit before the merge as "good".

That's the eglot case. I was speaking about a merge in general.

Yes, and it's because of merges in general that using --first-parent is not a good idea.

Perhaps we could maintain a list of such merges somewhere, with the commit SHA of the last commit before each merge. Or perhaps even a commented script, that would do a "git bisect good ..." for each such commit.

Don't know, I let it to the git aficionados.

Eglot's merge (0186faf2a1) is the first case in Emacs' history in which another root commit (1e5b753bf4) was added to the repository. So at the moment there is only one such command to type when starting a bisection: git bisect good 806734c1b1.

Eli, what do you think of adding an admin/git-bisect script to do that? In the future, if other similar merges are done, it would suffice to add another such line in that file.