Re: Merging feature/android

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging feature/android
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 13:44:42 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  eggert@cs.ucla.edu
> Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 19:25:44 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > We made modules supported by default 2 releases ago, and I don't want
> > to risk silently dropping that in configurations that up till now
> > didn't need the test at all.
>
> What about printing a warning after configuration, if configure
> concluded that the compiler does not support the attribute?  Then it
> wouldn't be so silent.

Warnings during the run of configure go unnoticed, since configure is
extremely chatty and shows a lot of routine messages.

I originally suggested to fail with an error, like we do for image
libraries, and you objected.  I still think that is the best
alternative.  It will make sure users are aware of the issue, and can
decide whether to look and solve the problem or use ifavailable
instead.

> BTW, I'd like to see the discussion where it was concluded that the
> cleanup attribute is absolutely required.  It doesn't do fancy things
> like clean up after Lisp signals under the hood, so all of the cleanup
> can be done in portable C as well.

AFAICT, this attribute was used from the very beginning.