Re: Grammar checking

From: Peter Oliver
Subject: Re: Grammar checking
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 14:02:13 +0100 (BST)

Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 14:24:24 +0100 (BST)
From: Peter Oliver <p.d.oliver@mavit.org.uk>
cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

On Sat, 1 Apr 2023, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

Note, however, that Languagetool also has command line interface.

Which, as is discussed elsewhere in the thread, is terribly inefficient.

Since when is subprocess communications "outlawed" in Emacs for
significant features that need to have good performance?

I wasn’t aware that anyone here was advocating that.

Also, linking against a library instead of communicating with a
program has its disadvantages as well: if the library crashes, so does
Emacs.

I think you’ve got this thread confused with the one about Jinx, which uses the
Enchant library for spellchecking.

In this thread, I have said that I believe that we could benefit from
LanguageTool offering some IPC mechanism other than TCP.

OTOH, AIUU, Ihor believes that, rather than running LanguageTool persistently,
it is tolerable to exec “java -jar languagetool-commandline.jar
/path/to/file/to/be/checked” on each occasion that you wish to check some text.
 The downside to this is that it takes many CPU-seconds for it to initialise
before it can do any actual checking, and you pay that initialisation cost
every time.

--
Peter Oliver