Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core pa

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 20:40:14 +0100

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 8:25 PM Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> wrote:

> > AFAIU, João is of the opposite opinion: he thinks that most Eglot
> > users will want the latest version on ELPA, or at least a version that
> > is newer than the one bundled with Emacs.
> I am of the above opposite opinion as well, but I can appreciate your

>From my experience, yes.  Overwhelmingly so.  People get excited.
Reddit posts I didn't order appear out of some anonymous user
enthusiasm annoucing the feature :-) But I can also, like Dmitry,
appreciate your opinion, Eli.  Users that don't  want the latest version
on ELPA don't have to get it, by any means.  Of course not.

Here is, taken from the sibling discussion, myrecommendation to
Eglot users:

 "Dear user,

  Emacs 29 will come with the most stable version I can offer, and I
  can tell you, prospective user, that it has been through as much
  of the Emacs 29 pretest period as possible. If you, prospective user,
  are interested in the features listed in etc/EGLOT-NEWS, you may try
  upgrading to the latest version (I hope it will be easy, good luck!)
  In the unlikely event that things go sour for your particular
  LSP server and use case, you have my deepest apologies, and you
  should revert back to the version bundled with Emacs 29.

  Thank you,
  Your maintainer"

João