Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core pa

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 00:25:55 +0300

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 18:30:47 +0300
Cc:joaotavora@gmail.com,emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>

When you say "keeping core packages only on ELPA", what do you mean exactly?
That core packages will be only in elpa.git, not in emacs.git.  Then
we'd "bundle" them with Emacs when preparing the release tarballs.

Okay then, though I'd call them just "bundled" packages from that point. Since "core" is an ELPA term for packages developed inside emacs.git.

That separation could also be considered a win, saving time for some of the developers. Which could make up for the extra overhead with managing stable tags.

I believe this is a long-term plan wrt core packages.  It was even
discussed a couple of times here.

Note that to do the above, we don't really have to implement this stuff as a feature in Emacs (as a UI in package.el), or in elpa-admin. At least not right away.

As long as we've agreed on a principle to choose releases to tag as stable, we could just write those git revision down somewhere (using git tags, or some text file in the Emacs repo, or a text file on a server somewhere, ...). And then use that info when bundling the packages.