Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core pa

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 17:42:20 +0300

> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 17:22:03 +0300
> Cc: joaotavora@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
>
> > Users who cannot
> > wait until the next bug-fix release, but still want stabil
> >
> > ity, will be
> > able to upgrade their Eglot to a newer version, provided that we mark
> > some newer version on ELPA "stable" after "N weeks" or so.  Finally,
> > users who want newer Eglot badly and are willing to sacrifice some
> > stability will update to the latest-and-greatest version on ELPA, even
> > if it is not "stable" yet.
>
> So we seem to agree that the ability to upgrade is important as well.

Yes.

> Whether we're able to transition to a new system with stability tags,
> etc, is yet to be seen.

Indeed.  In fact, it remains to be seen even if we have a broad-enough
agreement to consider transitioning to such a system a Good Thing.

> The main downsides of this are probably obvious:
>
> - The development work required.
> - The additional ongoing package maintenance work that is implied by
> this design.

Agreed.  I just don't see how will we be ever able to move to keeping
core packages only on ELPA if we don't transition to such a system, or
something like it.