Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core pa

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Stability of core packages (was: Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 23:58:28 +0100

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 11:42 PM Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> wrote:

> > No. Both are absent in Emacs 28.
>
> Yes, but the "U" keybinding is in Emacs 28, which is what I meant there.
>
> > And besides, "U" _also does different things in Emacs 28 and Emacs 29.
> >   In 28 it _will_ upgrade Eglot to the latest (so they tell me). But
> > not in Emacs 29.
>
> That depends. If I had previously installed Eglot in 28, and then
> download Emacs 29 and upgrade my packages (without deleting my elpa/
> dir), I'll still get new versions of Eglot from GNU ELPA. I think that
> part works as expected.

Yes it does.  Come on, not _everything_ is broken :-)

The bug#62720, reported by me, listed the only workaround
that works identically in Emacs 2*.  Just go to the package
menu and press 'I' on the package you want to install.  Boom, there
go the ancient safeguards against updating builtin packages.

If you look a bit at the package.el code, you'll see that
all this code goes through different flows etc.  All these
safeguards and existing behaviour are more likely to be
be accidental than intentional.

Nevertheless,  it is possible to pick one of them to
maintain the same behaviour.

João