Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last ch

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last change.
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 14:03:02 +0100

On Sat, May 6, 2023 at 11:52 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > It also _can_ install a newer version of the package if the first
> > argument is of type 'package-desc', but that's basically an internal
> > overload, not something that can be user interactively, or easily in the
> > init script. BTW, the value of package-install-upgrade-built-in has no
> > effect on that "overload".
>
> I'm surprised, to say the least.  To recap:
>
>   . the entire discussion of bug#62720, of which this is fallout, was
>     about allowing package-install to upgrade Eglot, and according to
>     João, that's what package-install did before Emacs 29.  Was this
>     all based on a mistake? if so, why no one has said so in all that
>     long argument??

One more time: in Emacs 28 package-install doesn't upgrade,
but it installs the latest, which is incompatible behaviour
if you move to Emacs 29, where that won't happen.

So if you're used to setting up a brand new Emacs 28 and
package-install Eglot to get versions with nice features and
bugfixes, you may be dismayed to find that doing the very
same thing in Emacs 29 results in what will probably be a
old version.  And this problem will persist _and_ worsen
during the lifetime of Emacs 29, which I expect to be a number
of years.

Anyway, experimenting and experiencing this yourself will
take at most a minute if you have Emacs 28 and Emacs 29
handy, so there's no shroud of mystery whatsoever.  just

   HOME=`mktemp -d` emacs-{28,29}/src/emacs

But we already went through all this, and all these decisions
have been made already, and they are ultimately all legitimate
even if we all disagree.

I don't think the NEWS entry needed rewording: it didn't
say anything inaccurate or misleading.  You made it more
complete, and perfectly accurate, but also more inescrutable,
which is not really what NEWS should be about IMO.  But it's
not that  tragic either, so please Dmitry and Eli let's just
leave this.

João