Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last ch

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last change.
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 18:26:11 +0300

From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 14:03:02 +0100
Cc: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>, emacs-devel@gnu.org

On Sat, May 6, 2023 at 11:52 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

I'm surprised, to say the least.  To recap:

   . the entire discussion of bug#62720, of which this is fallout, was
     about allowing package-install to upgrade Eglot, and according to
     João, that's what package-install did before Emacs 29.  Was this
     all based on a mistake? if so, why no one has said so in all that
     long argument??

One more time: in Emacs 28 package-install doesn't upgrade,
but it installs the latest, which is incompatible behaviour
if you move to Emacs 29, where that won't happen.

Is this for Eglot (and use-package), or is this for any package
installed from ELPA?  IOW, does Emacs 29's package-install still
install the latest version of a package from ELPA?  And does that
happen even if some older version of a package is already installed?

Like Joao said:

  Yes to the first, no to the second.

Meaning, 'M-x package-install' will install the latest version (or some available version) from ELPA, if the package is not installed.

If some version of it is installed from ELPA (!) already, 'M-x package-install' won't upgrade.

So if you're used to setting up a brand new Emacs 28 and
package-install Eglot to get versions with nice features and
bugfixes, you may be dismayed to find that doing the very
same thing in Emacs 29 results in what will probably be a
old version.

Are you talking about users who didn't update their Eglot, except when
a new Emacs version was released?  Or are you talking about users who
updated Eglot from ELPA (using package-install) even between Emacs
releases?  Or are you talking about something else entirely?

He is mostly talking about users who e.g. wiped their config directory and ~/.emacs.d/elpa and are starting anew. Or just deleted ~/.emacs.d/elpa/eglot-xxxxxx. In that situation, indeed, 'M-x package-install' will install the latest version from ELPA.

In Emacs 29, however, it won't. Because one version of Eglot is available already (built-in).

I'm pretty sure I have outlined this twice already, not too long ago. Prefacing the first message with an apology, saying I had been previously confused myself.