Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last ch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last change.
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 16:22:12 +0300

> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 14:03:02 +0100
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Sat, May 6, 2023 at 11:52 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm surprised, to say the least.  To recap:
> >
> >   . the entire discussion of bug#62720, of which this is fallout, was
> >     about allowing package-install to upgrade Eglot, and according to
> >     João, that's what package-install did before Emacs 29.  Was this
> >     all based on a mistake? if so, why no one has said so in all that
> >     long argument??
>

> One more time: in Emacs 28 package-install doesn't upgrade,
> but it installs the latest, which is incompatible behaviour
> if you move to Emacs 29, where that won't happen.

Is this for Eglot (and use-package), or is this for any package
installed from ELPA?  IOW, does Emacs 29's package-install still
install the latest version of a package from ELPA?  And does that
happen even if some older version of a package is already installed?

> So if you're used to setting up a brand new Emacs 28 and
> package-install Eglot to get versions with nice features and
> bugfixes, you may be dismayed to find that doing the very
> same thing in Emacs 29 results in what will probably be a
> old version.

Are you talking about users who didn't update their Eglot, except when
a new Emacs version was released?  Or are you talking about users who
updated Eglot from ELPA (using package-install) even between Emacs
releases?  Or are you talking about something else entirely?

> And this problem will persist _and_ worsen during the lifetime of
> Emacs 29

Why do you insist on reiterating past disagreements, especially when
they are tangents, is beyond me.

> Anyway, experimenting and experiencing this yourself will
> take at most a minute if you have Emacs 28 and Emacs 29
> handy, so there's no shroud of mystery whatsoever.

Why do you think I even have a minute to spare?

I'm asking the experts on package.el to describe what happens
precisely _because_ I don't have that time.  For example, today, I've
been at the keyboard, working on various Emacs issues for the last 7
hours without any breaks, and this is my weekend!

> But we already went through all this, and all these decisions
> have been made already, and they are ultimately all legitimate
> even if we all disagree.

It sounds like what we went through was based on a misunderstanding,
or at least Dmitry says it was.

> I don't think the NEWS entry needed rewording: it didn't
> say anything inaccurate or misleading.  You made it more
> complete, and perfectly accurate, but also more inescrutable,
> which is not really what NEWS should be about IMO.

Clearly, if I thought the original wording was acceptable, I wouldn't
have touched it (with the single exception of a spelling mistake).