Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last ch

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last change.
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 07:43:14 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
>> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>,  Stefan Monnier
>>  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 18:44:35 +0000
>>
>> > If package-upgrade was not in Emacs 28, how did users upgrade
>> > installed packages in Emacs 28 and before?
>>
>> They invoked M-x list-packages, waited for the upgrade to appear,
>> selected them with U and then executed the update with x.  This is what
>> used to work, and what will continue to work.
>
> But only if package-install-upgrade-built-in is non-nil, right?

No, that is unrelated since that user option has no effect on the
package menu.

Upgrading via U only works if the user has already installed a package
from ELPA.  So in this case, a user would have to run M-x list-packages,
select and install Eglot, thereby instructing package.el to load the
local version instead of the version bundled with Emacs.  This procedure
is how users would have upgraded from a older version of project.el, for
example.

This works regardless of what package-install-upgrade-built-in has been
set to.  That is only related to how the `package-install' command
works.

>> > I don't see a zero-sum game here.  We could focus on both.  But I
>> > don't use package.el and never will, so if those who use it and
>> > maintain it think otherwise, I won't insist.  Although I find this
>> > stance very strange indeed, to say the least.
>>
>> (This explains some of the confusion, I was under the assumption that
>> some of your questions were from a position of Socratic ignorance,
>
> You should know me better.

In that case I admit to plain ignorance. :)

--
Philip Kaludercic