Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last ch

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last change.
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 21:52:39 +0100

On Sat, May 6, 2023 at 9:32 PM Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> wrote:

> > So we should allow that, at least as an optional behavior in Emacs 29,
> > right?
>
> I don't believe in "optionality" here.
>
> If the user has to hunt for the option to toggle, they might as well
> find the "one little trick" that does the thing they want.
>
> Most people will only have to do that once (per config), if at all:
> after Eglot is upgraded this way, it's smooth sailing from then on.

Very well put, and exactly my thoughts.

Also, let's assume eglot-x.el makes it to GNU ELPA as is
being proposed in a side thread here. Then, that new
package will depend on Eglot.  And thus simply M-x
package-install RET eglot-x will also rev up Eglot, the :core
package to the latest version -- on any Emacs version.  That
will be another "trick".  In fact if eglot-x gains popularity
and is minimally useful, we might as well start recommending
that people ask for eglot-x as a means to upgrade Eglot itself.

João