Re: Naming guidelines for ELPA packages

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: Naming guidelines for ELPA packages
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 15:17:39 -0700

On 5/14/2023 2:36 PM, Stefan Monnier via Emacs development discussions. wrote:
Naming is hard.  To assist package authors, here are some guidelines for
choosing good Emacs package names.  Package names should be:

   * Memorable: Aim for short, distinct names that users can easily recall.
   * Intuitive: Names don't need to fully describe a package, but they should
    at least provide a hint about what the package does.

I can go along guidelines to *help* maintainers choose good
package names.  But I think it's very important that we refrain from
*imposing* it on maintainers.

So if the author prefers to stick with `devil`, then that's what it'll
be.  We have much more important things to worry about when it comes to
imposing guidelines (e.g. making sure that the package doesn't overstep
its namespace).

I agree. This is mainly an attempt to help package maintainers pick good (or "good enough") names on their own so that there's less time spent discussing this issue, and also to be upfront about what the Emacs/ELPA maintainers would prefer. That way, as a package maintainer, you can take these guidelines into account (or not) before you even submit the package.