Re: Naming guidelines for ELPA packages

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: Naming guidelines for ELPA packages
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 18:36:16 -0700

On 5/14/2023 4:00 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I agree. This is mainly an attempt to help package maintainers pick good (or
"good enough") names on their own so that there's less time spent discussing
this issue, and also to be upfront about what the Emacs/ELPA maintainers
would prefer. That way, as a package maintainer, you can take these
guidelines into account (or not) before you even submit the package.

Great.  Is there still something that needs to be resolved before we can
add this package to NonGNU ELPA, then?

In my opinion, no. I only suggested 'devil-keys' as a compromise that could address the concerns people had about the name 'devil' not providing a hint about what the package does. (In this subthread, I mainly wanted to discuss whether we could come up with a general guideline to assist package authors in coming up with reasonably-good names.)

But then I'm not exactly an authority figure on what does and doesn't go into ELPA. :)