Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 08:57:04 +0300

> Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 19:23:35 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: tomas@tuxteam.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > For mandatory dependencies, the only important aspect is whether I'd
> > need to upgrade libraries I already have to newer versions, and if so,
> > whether those newer versions will cause compatibility problems with
> > programs I have installed that use those libraries.
>
> This is the misconception I pointed to in my previous post: Rust libraries
> are not dynamic libraries, they are compiled into the program.

This is not a misconception, at least not mine: I was talking about
package installers in general, not just about Cargo.  (You will see
that this particular issue was absent from my OP.)

> > This is also something a typical package installation will not let me
> > control: they will just upgrade the other programs as well, whether I
> > want that or not.
>
> This is a separate question, and I don't know which package manager you
> have in mind

None.  Package managers that I envision don't exist.

> but at least with Debian's package manager what you describe
> doesn't happen.  You can always review what will be upgraded.

"Review" doesn't get near what I'd expect from a decent installer.

Once again, why do you continue arguing?  I just wanted to explain my
POV, which I realize is very unconventional.  You don't need to agree.