Re: Inferred function types in the *Help* buffer

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Inferred function types in the *Help* buffer
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 14:48:52 -0400

Mattias EngdegÄrd <mattias.engdegard@gmail.com> writes:

> 30 maj 2023 kl. 18.46 skrev Andrea Corallo <acorallo@gnu.org>:
>
>> Ideally I think we should have a declare syntax and maybe an extention
>> to the DEFUN macro to cover for primitives as well, in order to have
>> these declaration where each function is defined.
>
> That would probably be a good thing in the long run, yes. There are other
> declarations we would like to be able to attach to DEFUN as well.

Hi Mattias,

thanks for your feedback.

yep agree, I think we should convey on a syntax for everything we want
to express (type and other properties), so we have something to
implement on the long run both for the Lisp both for the C side.

>>  But probably for now
>> something like the attached patch is sufficient and considerably less
>> invasive?
>
> Actually it sort of increases coupling; I'd rather it stayed in
> comp.el for the time being. You could write a function (in comp.el)
> for access.

The main reason why I'd like to move them out is not to require the load
of comp.el for a simple C-h f.  Secondary yeah I think that if it's in
use outside the compilation functionality should just not live there.

Anyway I'm happy with any solution (as long as we find one :).

Thanks

  Andrea