Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 12:59:43 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Not all the users are even familiar with Git.
>
> Are you sure?  I'm not.
>
> And we aren't talking about "all the users", only those who want all
> the latest fixes ASAP.  Emacs is a large and very stable package, so
> the probability that the latest bugfix affects a particular user is
> very low.  Thus, I believe that people who really need frequent
> bugfixes are quite a few.

I have a particular category of users in mind - the bug reporters
themselves. It would be nice if they had an opportunity to get _their_
bug fixed simply after soon-ish bugfix update. People who report bugs
are quite often just ordinary users, who do not know anything about
patches or git.

>> > That has only disadvantages from my POV: 2 hours of work to produce
>> > and test a tarball with no benefits at all.  If someone wants to
>> > volunteer to do that, fine.  (But then making a tarball by following
>> > the instructions in make-tarball.txt is easy, and anyone can do that
>> > for themselves if they want to.)
>>
>> Can it be simply automated?
>
> Not easily, no.  There's always stuff that needs manual intervention.
> Maybe someone could write and maintain a smart enough program to do
> that, but it's not trivial, and there are always new issues to add to
> that.

I have looked through admin/make-tarball.txt, and I can mostly see hassle
with updating NEWS file. But, AFAIU, NEWS file should not change in
breaking ways when fixing bugs.

Or do you have some other problems in mind?

(Also, note that Po Lu seems to have some working code to generate tarballs)

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,