Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 16:25:25 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
> Cc: luangruo@yahoo.com, stefankangas@gmail.com, dmitry@gutov.dev,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 13:20:03 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> These tarballs will be mostly the same, as they will only differ by
> >> bugfixes. So, testing different "bugfix" tarball versions will only risk
> >> differing via some bugs being already fixed in newer versions. The
> >> worst-case scenario is when some bugfix introduces another bug, but
> >> AFAIK it is already ensured that such things almost never happen.
> >>
> >> So, I do not think that having multiple bugfix versions around will pose
> >> a significant problem.
> >
> > I think you have a very naïve view of the effect of bugfixes in Emacs.
> > What you think doesn't happen actually happens all the time.
>
> Do you mean that one fix introducing new bugs is rather common?

Too common to my liking.  Didn't you read all those threads where I
constantly say that Emacs doesn't get more stable with the years
because we constantly fix minor issues and by that introduce subtle
regressions elsewhere?

Which is why we have pretests, where we are supposed to detect at
least the more obvious of those regressions.  The question that really
bothers me is how to make more frequent releases without losing that
QA element, because we really need it.  So any suggestion to lower the
bar is in my eyes a non-starter.