Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:17:28 +0000

> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>> That way, some users may be able to create new threads at least, which
>>> is apparently more comfortable for some users.
>>
>> Do we really want to trouble Emacs development with yet another burden
>> to mind?  Two kinds of threads, in one of which certain subjects or
>> measures are off-limits, really?
>
> What about using mailing list first then?
> For mailing list users, there will be no difference.
> For Disccourse, some topics might remain merged even when mailing list
> thread branched off several discussion threads.

At this point I don't know what the problem is that you are trying to
solve.  If we want to invite more people to participate in discussions
on emacs-devel, but treat those who use Disccourse as lesser citizens.

There comes a point where people have to accept that mailing lists
aren't weird and unusable -- this is not a primarily technical problem.
Some people are afraid of communicating with the mailing list or
reporting bugs because of an image issue.  I have on more than one
occasion heard of people who intentionally avoid communicating with
emacs-devel due to bad experience.  Others fear sending a message out
into the blue and not knowing who will read and respond to what they
said, will they be shouted down or just ignored.  In principle these
issues are shared in common with all other Fora (Discourse, Reddit,
etc.), with perhaps the difference that you can delete and edit a post
after posting it.

What I think the Org project does well is the "This month in Org" line
of posts, that help highlight contributions from newcomers and
familiarise those familiar with a mailing list with the procedures going
on here.  Just in the past few days, I have seen people ask on the
#emacs@libera.chat IRC channel what they think would happen if they were
to submit a patch, and if it would be accepted.  This demonstrates an
uncertainty, that apparently cannot be resolved by actually sending a
patch and seeing what happens.  I have mentioned the idea of a ELPA
newsletter somewhere around here once, but upon reflection, it seems
like a TMIO-like idea should be implemented to the entire
core-development, not just the ELPAs.  Would anyone here be interested
in working on something like that?