Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 17:05:35 +0100

On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 4:42 PM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> >> Really?
> > Yes, really.
>
> Curious: I always use RET instead.
> I'm actually having a hard time
> remembering/imagining how/why we ended up binding `C-c C-c` to
> `diff-goto-source` in `diff-mode`.

Seems some young hotshot added it back in the day

commit 610a6418564684d52f7490b8e00f92443abb3253
Author: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Date:   Sat Oct 9 23:52:39 1999 +0000

    Initial revision, known outside of Emacs as version 1.8.

> >> For me it's more like "finish this commit" or "send this email".
> > That too of course.  But these are other modes, no?
>
> To me the "show diff during refactoring" is a different situation from
> cases like `vc-diff` or `C-x C-f foo.diff`: it's more like showing you
> all the details of your order before you confirm that you really want to
> do it.
>
> >> diff-apply-everything could work with "someone's patches" just as well.
> >> That's actually a reason to just add it to diff-mode.
> > I never said there wasn't.  But don't touch C-c C-c please.
>
> Maybe we should start by removing that `C-c C-c` binding from
> `diff-mode` (users like you who really like it can re-add it easily).

Strongly object to this.  Remove a 20yo binding?  Aren't there
really other alternatives??  Especially in a mode that's read only
much more often than not?

João