Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 07:33:37 -0400

   On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 11:57 AM Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> wrote:

   > On 26/09/2023 11:06, João Távora wrote:
   > > On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 6:36 AM Alfred M. Szmidt<ams@gnu.org>  wrote:
   > >
   > >> If you have a diff on file, you are most probobly going to apply it,
   > >> and also probobly going to remove a hunk or two or edit the diff in
   > >> some manner.  (That this is "relatively rare" I disagree from my own
   > >> usage and experience).  Not to mention that visiting a file on disk,
   > >> that is read-write, and Emacs making it read-only would be very
   > >> strange.
   > > I completely agree with these two points.  Even non-file diff-mode
   > > buffers, such as the ones provided by piping git diff into Emacs
   > > (yes, I can do that 😄 ) are generally better left read-write,
   > > since I frequently edit them to kill hunks I'm not interested in.
   >
   > 'k' (or M-k), 'C-c C-s' and 'C-_' all work fine in a read-only diff-mode
   > buffer. 'C-x C-s' also works, of course.

   I think it's very inconsistent to have specialized commands to modify
   a buffers contents and not allow all the other regular commands that
   modify a buffer do their work.  I don't have unlimited brain address
   space for keybindings and I think C-SPC C-n a few times C-w does
   the job just fine.

Or fixing a typo, or renaming a variable, or some such ...

   Opening regular files of a special type read-only mode would be a
   spectacular failure in the basic ergonomics of an editor.

1+