Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 13:57:26 +0100

On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 12:34 PM Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> wrote:

> Is that better than typing 'k'?

'k' inserts k.

> Or being able to use hunk navigation with n/p?

I use M-n sometimes when I remember it, but mostly I use C-s like
everywhere.

> > Opening regular files of a special type read-only mode would be a
> > spectacular failure in the basic ergonomics of an editor.
>
> Like you said: you edit both kinds of diff buffers (vc and files on
> disk) in the same way. But we assign them different read-only status.

When I pipe the results of `git diff`, `git log`, etc into Emacs,
I don't make them read only.  And I use this more way more frequently
than vc-diff.

Frankly I don't care if you think it's "better" to use your
specialized keybindings.  It's your right to think so. But I
do care about being able to use the keybindings I've always used
for such basic file and buffer-editing functionality.