Re: Emacs design and architecture

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 19:02:05 -0400

  > In the foreseeable future, probably not.  I do not know the details.
  > But there is WebAssembly.  In order to access the DOM and possibly other
  > browser API, at least a few months ago, it was still necessary to
  > somehow go through JS.

Javascript and webassembly are both paths by which nonfree programs is
fed to users without their ever asking to install them.  Yes we have
free web browsers, but a free web browser won't give you freedom if it
often spontaneously downloads a nonfree program and runs that without
warning you.

This is why we developed LibreJS for Firefox -- to detect and block
nonfree Javascript code (or webassembly code).

I think that some of Emacs's web browsing facilities include
Javascript execution.  (Is this correct?)  I think it was a mistake to
add that to Emacs -- it led us away from the goal of the GNU system.

To correct that mistake, we should change those features so as to
reduce the tendency to let nonfree software into Emacs users'
activity.