Re: Emacs design and architecture

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:46:58 +0300

On 18/09/2023 03:11, Po Lu wrote:
Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>  writes:

On 17/09/2023 09:43, Po Lu wrote:
Immanuel Litzroth<immanuel.litzroth@gmail.com>   writes:

I don't understand this remark. When you talk about "the language
used
to implement emacs" are you talking about C or elisp?
C, of course.

What is the LibreOffice extension language that is "almost the
same"?
Can you provide a link?
LibreOffice is written in C++.  And it is programmable, by virtue of
its
nature as a computer program.
Scriptable programs have their specific challenges, so it's helpful to
look at architectures suited to that.
Given that we don't "script" the Emacs display process itself, there is
truly no distinction between a "scriptable" display engine and others.

We do: just as others have noted, redisplay calls back into Lisp. Which allows us to implement jit-lock with language-specific logic written in Lisp.

It has for a long time been the method by which we manage to do syntax highlighting with adequate performance even in large files.