Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 16:52:10 +0300

On 26/09/2023 16:09, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
But consider RMAIL, RMAIL handles the file specially to keep whatever
internal structure sane.  So the only way to edit is to use whatever
mode bindings you have at your fingers.

And if you split and kill the hunks (in diff-mode) using the dedicated commands, the format is indeed preserved better: e.g. the line numbers and counters in the hunk headers.

To break the syntax and make a patch un-applyable is also very easy with free-form editing.

> Now .. I don't personally favor this, and it seems that there is a
simple switch to make diff files read-only anyway, so maybe leave it
at that?

When I bring such questions up, it's usually to consider the standpoint of some new-ish user. More consistency and fewer chances to mess things up = better.