Aw: A new collaborative editing package (maybe tangent)

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Aw: A new collaborative editing package (maybe tangent)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:56:30 +0100

Yuan Fu wrote:
> My goal for collab-mode is for it to be a p2p, cross-editor, real-time
> collab editing package (Emacs collab with Vim!). It works kind of like
> language servers (LSP): a local “collab server” (called collab
> process) talks to the editor over JSONRPC, and collab processes talk
> among themselves over the internet. Most of the hard work is done by
> the collab process and the editor end should be relatively easy to
> implement.

This sounds pretty interesting!

> As of right now, collab-mode has these features:
> - Sharing a plain text file
> - Sharing a directory (still have rough edges)

Does it work well with editing modes? Plain text can be a loose definition with
Emacs :-)

Example: When I run a plantuml code block in an org file in a shared directory,
will the other side see the generated diagram inline?

> - Undo & redo (linear)
> - Builtin NAT traversal

How do you achieve NAT traversal?
(that's interesting to me from a technical / sharing techniques viewpoint;
would love to pass it on to students in a lecture in spring)

I've seen that you use a signaling server, does this manage to enable direct
connections between two NAT'ed computers?

> |🧚 No shared docs, not here, not now.                      |
> |Let’s create one, and here’s how!                          |

I would suggest "here is how" instead of "and here's how".
That better matches the rhythm of the first line :-)

> |🧚 Your file is shared, and here’s the link                |
> |Anyone can connect with just a click!                      |

Anyone -> All
(also for rhythm)

Though that's less precise, since if "All" tried to connect, they would likely
break something.

> Help with rhymes
>
> I hope you don’t find the fairy and her bad rhymes annoying. I’m not
> very good at rhymes, chatgpt is even worse. If you can come up with
> better ones, please do send them along :-)

I hope the suggestions help :-)

How could I run a signaling server myself?

Best wishes,
Arne