Re: A new collaborative editing package (maybe tangent)

From: T.V Raman
Subject: Re: A new collaborative editing package (maybe tangent)
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 07:33:33 -0800

I too think a "shared editing" feature would be enormously useful.

As step 0, I suggest we first colectively define what exactly "shared
editing " means, and use that to specifically what we implement vs what
we dont. In that process, we should also identify "feature enablers" vs
"actual features" see some thoughts below.

Shared Editing:

1. Is this "same time" editing , as in peer-programming, or
   "collaborative authoring" as in tools like Google Docs? Note that for
   the most part,  people use collaborative authoring far more than they
   use "same time editing" with existing tools.

2. For collaborative editing, a core platform requirement i some form of
   shared, persistent storage. Git could be good enough if you could
   mask it from the user ...

3. Features such as comments, comment threads are all "features" in my
   opinion and I suspect Emacs has a plethora of tools for doing this
   already once we crisply identify (1) and (2) above.