Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importan

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance)
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 16:04:54 +0200

> Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 13:49:53 +0000
> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traductaire-libre.org>
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com, vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
> rms@gnu.org, help-texinfo@gnu.org
>
> Thinking out loud here, but @node currently requires the node-name
> argument and has next/preious/up optional argument. It seems to me that
> most of the issues would be fixed by adding a fifth argument that acts
> like the cross-references' second argument (online-label). That way,
> node-name can stay as it is and act as the pointer but is displayed as
> "online-label", which is the translated part.

Maybe this will be a solution, I don't know.  (But note that the
next/preious/up arguments are basically obsolete and almost never used
nowadays.)

> Same for the cross-references, if we generalize the use of 2 or 3
> arguments.

Cross-references already support 5 arguments.  I think we'd need
something more complex there.  One possibility could be some kind of
"translation table" inside an Info file, which maps English node names
to translated names.