Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 16:10:53 +0000

> On Jan 6, 2024, at 0:53, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>>> It is unreasonable
>>> to expect the Emacs project to solve problems that are common to all
>>> the GNU projects, and accuse us of lack of interest because those
>>> problems are not yet solved satisfactorily.
>>
>> I’m not sure where that comes from.
>
> It comes from your apparent expectations that we solve the non-trivial
> issues on our own and "yesterday", when all we have is a single
> translation of a single manual.

I don’t have any expectations. All this weird discussion is taking
place because I was trying to understand what you did not like about PO
while you (seemingly) were thinking I was trying to push PO down
somebody’s throat.

Can we please move on?

> It's too early to raise complaints about this.

I have no complaint about anything. I proposed things based on my
experience. You refused them because they don’t fit your idea of an
ideal workflow in Emacs. And that’s OK. You’re the maintainer and you
have a view of the project that I will never be able to have. I am fine
with your decisions.

>>> See above: the existing communities don't need to solve the problems
>>> that are central to Emacs in this area, they don't even come close.
>>
>> I’m still not sure how documentation translation is so much harder to
>> handle for Emacs than for other projects. Texi is just another plain text
>> format that has nothing special to it.
>
> I wasn't talking about the manuals.  But even for the manuals there
> are some issues that need to be considered.  For example: what do we
> do with the info/dir file for these translated manuals? what should be
> @dircategory for them -- should it be a separate category, like
> "Translated manuals", or should it be the same as in the original
> English manuals?

Can we talk about that?