@dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance)

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: @dircategory (Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance)
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 04:40:41 +0000

> I wasn't talking about the manuals.  But even for the manuals there
> are some issues that need to be considered.  For example: what do we
> do with the info/dir file for these translated manuals? what should be
> @dircategory for them -- should it be a separate category, like
> "Translated manuals", or should it be the same as in the original
> English manuals?

I suppose the @dircategory is also what appears in the Emacs info top
page under “*Menu:”?

If that’s the case, what about using “Translated manuals” for now,
since the number of translated manuals is very low?

The day when we have a reasonable amount of translated manuals, it will
make sense to have them under the original English manuals. I guess it
won’t be too difficult to make the change.

So I guess the info/dir file would list the translated manuals in
“Translated manuals” for now.

Other texinfo items that come to mind:

Would @author be also used for the translator?

For ex. emacs-gnutls.txi has
@author by Ted Zlatanov

In French that would be
@author par Ted Zlatanov
@author traduit en français par Achille Talon

(I see that Vincent has not mentioned his authorship of the SES French
translation.)

Also, we will have to translate @node, because they appear in the
Section index. I see that they were kept in English in the SES manual.

Are there other texi specific items that translators should be aware of?

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @jchelary@emacs.ch
https://traductaire-libre.org