Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 22:56:09 -0800

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Are Jean-Christophe and Vincent capable of translating the Emacs user
> manual and maintaining it in an up-to-date condition, both now and a
> decade in the future,

I obviously can't answer that question, besides pointing out that we
don't usually place such high demands on people before accepting their
contributions.

> and would such efforts of theirs be impaired in any manner if they
> took place outside the Emacs repository, under their own supervision?

I tried to explain why I think this is true earlier in the thread.
I feel like I'm at risk of repeating my arguments at this point, which
to me is a sign that this subthread might have run its course.

That said, let me point out that I agree that we should avoid having
this work put an overly large burden on our regular Emacs maintenance.
Your conclusion is that we should not merge any translations.  Mine is
that we should make provisions to avoid the potential issues.