Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Translating Emacs manuals is of strategic importance
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2024 09:37:03 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 22:56:09 -0800
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
>       Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traductaire-libre.org>,
> vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr,
>       emacs-devel@gnu.org, rms@gnu.org
>
> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > and would such efforts of theirs be impaired in any manner if they
> > took place outside the Emacs repository, under their own supervision?
>
> I tried to explain why I think this is true earlier in the thread.

>From where I stand, stuff that's useful to Emacs users should be part
of Emacs.  Having to hunt additional sites to download useful stuff is
an annoyance we should strive to minimize.

> That said, let me point out that I agree that we should avoid having
> this work put an overly large burden on our regular Emacs maintenance.

FWIW, I see no significant maintenance burden added by these
translations.  If the translators don't update them, they will fall
behind, and if they eventually fall behind too much, we can decide
deleting them.