Re: Translation of manuals (was: SES manual French translation)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Translation of manuals (was: SES manual French translation)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 23:24:30 -0500

  > Maybe we can instead have a positive model that defines
  > a FOSS service?

We would not call it "FOSS" -- we never use that term.  See
https://gnu.org/philosophy/floss-and-foss.html.  We say "free
software" instead of "FOSS", when talking about software.

That name issue is superficial, not hard to fix. But I don't see how
it makes sense to describe a service as a kind of software.  Those are
two different categories, and they raise different issuss.  See
https://gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html.

The deeper problem here is that defining what it means for services
that to users ethically is the same problem as defining what it
means for services to treat users unethically.  To figure out what
the moral rules should be for services is a hard problem.

We made a start on this around 20 years ago, producing the Franklin
Street Statement.  But that was only a start.