RE: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner - cyclic tasks - diary and schedule

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: RE: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner - cyclic tasks - diary and schedule
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:23:10 -0000

Seth Falcon wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> I've got things half-working the way I want so I will share some
> thoughts...
>
> I'm using planner-appt to manage appointments.  I like this approach
> because entering a task and entering an appointment are the same
> hot-key --- I only have to remember one way of making a "reminder".

Okay, I'll take a look at this. I thought planner-appt just did
pop ups to remind you of impending meetings.

> I have a '* Schedule' section and appointments are nicely collected
> there (though they also appear in my task list).
>
> Recently I have tried the planner-cyclic setup because I need to be
> reminded about recurring appointments.  I think it is working.
>
>> Firstly, my diary cylic file tells me about selective display,
>> and suggests I remove it with "s" in Calendar. But this actually
>> takes me to the diary file, rather than diary.cyclic-tasks.
>
> Me too!  (the only way I could edit the file was using vi!)

Excellent! Emacs' legendary usability comes to fore. Haven't seen
anything like this since the days of Emacs 19, when esc-esc produced
a "please do not push this button again" error.

> I found M-x show-all-diary-entries (bound to C-c C-s), but it just
> shows me the contents of ~/.diary not ~/.diary.cyclic-tasks.
>
> I don't know whether it makes sense to have more than one diary file.
> Seems to me that Emacs things there can only be one, but is happy to
> put other files in the cryptic editing mode without giving you a way
> to turn it off :-(

I think M-x set-selective-display should work in this case. As I said,
diary's UI should be heavily retired. As a backend, it looks okay, but
it's got a really horrible interface.

> If you set the diary-file variable to your cyclic-tasks file, then C-c
> C-s does display entries (yay!).

Wey, hey!

> Anyhow, if you would like details on my config, let me know.

Yeah, that would be good. I'm just getting to the point of moving
of the Exchange server that I was forced onto a while back. Back
to Gnus for email (unless you have been forced to use outlook, you
have no idea how good this is going to feel!). But I lose calendaring,
and
I can't face going back to sunbird. Currently, it's planner or bust
for me.

Cheers

Phil