Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner - cyclic tasks - diary and schedule

From: Seth Falcon
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner - cyclic tasks - diary and schedule
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 07:28:24 -0800

René <address@hidden> writes:
> I would like to have appointment announcements (by means of a beep).  But this
> does not seem to work with planner-cyclic-diary nor with appointments directly
> stored in a plain "* Schedule" section.  Is it a matter of configuration or
> does
> that mean that such feature only works with planner-diary?

Yes, this works for me via planner-appt.  I use a CVS Emacs on OS X
from a few months ago.  It should be enough to have
(planner-appt-insinuate) in your config.

> Is it possible to have just one "* Schedule" section and no "* Diary" section
> and put all relevant diary entries into the "* Schedule" section?
>
> I cannot manage to do that.  Every time I try to do so my diary entries erase
> the other entries I had previously stored in the "* Schedule" section.  I
> don't
> want these lines to disappear.  How can I do?

I'm not sure because I'm not using planner-diary at all.  What is the
advantage of using both task-based appts and diary based one?  The
only ones I can think of have to do with birthday reminders and
floating appts which are all covered by planner-cyclic which does
integrate into planner-appt.

>> Recently I have tried the planner-cyclic setup because I need to be
>> reminded about recurring appointments.  I think it is working.
>
> I'd be interested in having a look at you configuration file.

I posted it earlier in this thread.  Let me know if you have
questions.

>> I don't know whether it makes sense to have more than one diary file.
>> Seems to me that Emacs things there can only be one, but is happy to
>> put other files in the cryptic editing mode without giving you a way
>> to turn it off
>
> How about having a planner-diary-public-file and planner-diary-private-file
> for
> your public and private planner directory.

Sure.  My question wasn't clear: I was wondering if Emacs's diary
system has support for multiple diary files.  I think the answer is
no, but that there are various workarounds.

I agree that public/private, home/work, etc are all quite logical
divisions.

Best Wishes,

+ seth