Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner - cyclic tasks - diary and schedule

From: Seth Falcon
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner - cyclic tasks - diary and schedule
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:01:42 -0800

"Phillip Lord" <address@hidden> writes:
>> Anyhow, if you would like details on my config, let me know.
>
> Yeah, that would be good. I'm just getting to the point of moving
> of the Exchange server that I was forced onto a while back. Back
> to Gnus for email (unless you have been forced to use outlook, you
> have no idea how good this is going to feel!). But I lose calendaring,
> and
> I can't face going back to sunbird. Currently, it's planner or bust
> for me.

Ok, here goes.  Gives me a chance to clean house a bit.  If others are
tuning in, please speak up if you know of a better way...

In particular, can someone provide a hint on setting things so that
M-x plan triggers a planner-appt-update as well as cyclic update.  I
think I have it, but doesn't seem to work consistently...

A slight detour for gnus integration:

(require 'planner-gnus)
(planner-gnus-insinuate)

(defadvice planner-gnus-browse-url (before planner-gnus-browse-url-other-frame)
  "Select the Gnus *Group* buffer in other frame before opening gnus://"
  (let ((buf-names (mapcar 'buffer-name (buffer-list)))
        (gnus-buf-name "*Group*"))
    (if (member gnus-buf-name buf-names)
        (switch-to-buffer-other-frame gnus-buf-name))))
(ad-activate 'planner-gnus-browse-url)

;; Setup planner-appt
(appt-activate 1)
(setq planner-appt-forthcoming-look-at-cyclic-flag t)
(setq planner-appt-schedule-cycle-behavior 'future)
(setq planner-cyclic-diary-file "~/Notebook/diary.cyclic-tasks")
(require 'planner-cyclic)
(require 'planner-appt)
(planner-appt-use-tasks)
(planner-appt-insinuate)
(planner-appt-schedule-cyclic-insinuate)
(planner-insinuate-calendar)
(setq planner-appt-task-use-appointments-section-flag t)
(setq planner-appt-update-appts-on-save-flag t)

(planner-option-customized 'planner-day-page-template
      "* Schedule

* Forthcoming Appointments

* Tasks

* Notes

")

;; FIXME: I'm not certain this is the right way to setup the hooks
;; for updating appointments when you call M-x plan.  Suggestions
;; welcome.  Sometimes I still have to do M-x planner-appt-update
;; manually.
(add-hook 'planner-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq auto-fill-inhibit-regexp "^#[ABC] +[_oX].*")
            (setq truncate-lines t))
          (planner-appt-update-appt-section-maybe)
          (planner-appt-forthcoming-update-section-maybe))