Re: New emms-info-native

From: Petteri Hintsanen
Subject: Re: New emms-info-native
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 23:46:35 +0200

(apologies it you get this message twice, my mailer is complaining for
some reason)

Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

> Petteri, what do you think of the dynamic-scaling idea?

It could help but I think it’s not the best way to go forward.  I am
afraid it is the design itself that is failing here.

Namely, the current implementation reads in the whole tag (which can be
big, as we’ve seen) before parsing, even though we are not interested in
most of it.  At the end, we need only a few, relatively small textual
frames (album, artist, etc.) from the complete tag.

I hacked together an "incremental" parser that goes through the tag one
frame at a time, and skips over those that EMMS does not care about.
Hopefully it saves memory and, who knows, it may also give some
performance boost.  (I didn’t have time to do any benchmarking.)  Due to
id3v2 peculiarities, the code is quite ugly and regressions are likely.

But please test if it gives any better results.  Code is in info-native
branch.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Regards,
Petteri