Re: New emms-info-native

From: Fran Burstall (Gmail)
Subject: Re: New emms-info-native
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 19:14:04 +0000

Hi,

Just tried the new version and it works very well except:

1. Just one file returns nil: it has a gigantic (4.8MB) id3v2.3 tag which I can send if you want.  Probably I should just accept defeat on this one!
2.  There are about 15 files that still have trailing whitespace in a field (yes, I see the `string-trim-right` in the code and do not understand).  I attach a sample.
3. I have 40 files where the date is truncated: emms-info-taglib gives 2017-10-13 while emms-info-native just gives 2017.  Again I attach a sample.

---Fran

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 at 18:20, Petteri Hintsanen <petterih@iki.fi> wrote:
I just pushed a new revision without emms-info-native--max-peek-size
checks.  It still does a couple of other checks, but you shouldn’t see
excessive size errors anymore.

> My personal take is that trimming the whitespace is a good idea, if only
> because other info sources do it.

I added trailing whitespace trimming to all info-fields, including
Vorbis comments.  They are text anyway.

> and similarly for emms-info-taglib.  The native took 200 seconds and taglib
> 300 for the 14000 or so files!  Looks like not shelling out 14000 times
> trumps the speed of C++ (at least on my setup where I suspect a lot of the
> time is spent reading the mp3's from the ntfs filesystem they live on).

That’s true, shelling incurs a heavy overhead.

I have compiled taglib shim as Emacs module so that it doesn’t need to
do any execs.  It is, depending on caching conditions (I suppose), about
2-10x faster than emms-info-native.

Petteri