Re: New emms-info-native

From: Fran Burstall (Gmail)
Subject: Re: New emms-info-native
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 15:31:08 +0000

Hi,

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 at 13:58, Petteri Hintsanen <petterih@iki.fi> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks, this is very useful information.

> 1. emms-info-taglib trims trailing white space in strings but
> emms-info-native does not.

Is this problematic?  It is easy to add trimming if needed.  Maybe even
a defcustom.

My personal take is that trimming the whitespace is a good idea, if only because other info sources do it.

> 3. emms-info-native--decode-info-fields is now returning nil for the 75
> files for which it raised "id3v2 tag or frame size 3832965 is invalid"
> errors last week.
>
> For definiteness, this is emms-info-native from the info-native branch at
> commit 0fe6100

This is surprising given that you got no errors one revision earlier.

Surprising but that is what I get ;-)

Now that there are no memory reservations made based on decoded sizes I
think we can remove these tag/frame size checks altogether.

I’ll push a new version into savannah git soon.

Excellent.  One other factoid from my tests: I raced emms-info-native with emms-info-taglib:

(benchmark-run
    (dolist (track (map-values emms-cache-db))
      (emms-info-native track)))

and similarly for emms-info-taglib.  The native took 200 seconds and taglib 300 for the 14000 or so files!  Looks like not shelling out 14000 times trumps the speed of C++ (at least on my setup where I suspect a lot of the time is spent reading the mp3's from the ntfs filesystem they live on).

---Fran