fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Calling Fabric from Python

From: Philipp Keller
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Calling Fabric from Python
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 19:18:13 +0200

Hi Jeff

execute(task_obj, host_list)

sounds great - I looked for such a thing, didn't find it and we decided to run our own abstraction (learning from fabrics use of paramiko - which seems to be quite complete).

Greets
Philipp

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Jeff Forcier <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Philipp Keller
<address@hidden> wrote:

> From looking at the code it looks as if fabric isn't designed as "ssh
> abstraction" - but should be primarily used from the command line.
> e.g. run() is closely coupled to the rest of fabrics infrastructure (such as
> env, or writing to stdout, or asking for password).

Yes and no. Fabric *is* designed to be a higher level SSH abstraction
-- it's simply that until recently the main use-case we've oriented
around is the more common command line one, so the documentation and
some of the API is a bit weak when used as a library.

For example, one thing I'd like to add is something like
execute(task_obj, host_list) which would make having to monkey with
env.host_string less necessary. This sort of thing is in the works for
the post-1.0 releases.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Forcier